With effect from 1st January 2012, all Holiday or Business travelers to Sri Lanka must have a valid Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) to enter in to Sri Lanka. Please visit www.eta.gov.lk for more information.
The ETA requirement is applicable to all nationalities except nationals of the Republic of Maldives, the Republic of Singapore and the Republic of Seychelles, who on the basis of reciprocity, are exempt from this requirement.
The objective of the Sri Lankan visa is to facilitate the legal entry of non-Sri Lankans into Sri Lanka and to regulate the period and conditions governing their stay.
The competent authority for issuing Sri Lankan visas is the Department of Immigration and Emigration. On behalf of the Department of Immigration and Emigration, Sri Lanka diplomatic missions abroad have been authorized to issue visas.
Who is eligible for visa exemption?
- Sri Lankan dual citizens.
- Children born to Sri Lankan parents whose birth have been registered under section 5(2) of Citizenship Act – 1948 up to 21 years of age.
- Children born in Sri Lanka to Sri Lankan parents under 21 years of age, now living abroad.
What are the general eligibility requirements for Sri Lankan visas?
Sri Lanka Immigration and Emigration may issue a visa to you if:
- It is satisfied that you are suitable to enter Sri Lanka.
- It approves the purpose for which you are entering Sri Lanka.
- You hold a passport valid for a minimum period of six months from the date you arrive in Sri Lanka.
- It is satisfied that you have adequate funds for your stay in Sri Lanka and for the payment of your return passage to the country which issued your passport.
- You are in possession of a return air ticket to the country of domicile or a visa to the next country of destination.
How to Extend a Short Visit Visa
A visitor willing to stay more than the approved time of period in Sri Lanka, may apply for an extension. The Short Visit visa may be extended up to a certain period of time depending on the necessity.
Application for an extension should be submitted to the Visa Section of the Department of Immigration @ Battaramulla.
For more details visit. www.immigration.gov.lk.